S01 E07: Charl van der Walt on red team vs blue team, history, threat intelligence, infosec rockstars, and striving for excellence.
June 18th, 2020
1 hr 20 mins 26 secs
About this Episode
Red team versus blue team. All should become a purple team!! Searching for a way around the rockstar mentality all too common within the infosec industry, as the proposal to build a team of teams is announced. Deception technology mixed with an actual true cost analysis of threat intelligence lending questionable returns. The roller coaster of topics reaches a pinnacle with a reflection on being allocentric within the security industry versus viewing security solely through the lens of industry growth.
- Charl shares his history, growth, and maturity within the industry.
- Red team vs. blue team, and how everyone should be a purple team.
- Deception technology, honeypots, forensics, and storytelling with data.
- Getting around the rockstar mentality within infosec, and teamwork produces a higher ROI.
- Demystifying the value of threat intelligence.
"Think about what you do as something that matters and approach it in that way and the rest will follow." - Charl van der Walt
Special shout outs to:
- Haroon Meer from Thinkst
- Roelof Temmingh from Vortimo.